Sunday, July 10, 2011


Face-off. The only 'weapon' the protestors had was defiance against the FRU who were in full anti-riot gear, with full-face helmet and shield. (Front page of Sunday Star)
It's the day after. A quick browse through the print and online news media can leave the casual reader very much confused as to where things stand at the moment.

Despite the massive clampdown and blockades, the government failed to stop the protestors from amassing in several areas of the city. The PM said "no serious harm was caused" and in the same breath also said "street demonstrations not only bring hardship to the people, it could also lead to possessions being destroyed". Isn't he contradicting himself? There have been no reports of damage to property.

Fodder for the government to use in accusing Bersih of being used by the opposition. (The Star)
Dato Ambiga says that it was "mission accomplished" although Bersih 2.0 didn't quite achieve its original objective of marching to the palace to deliver a memorandum to the King. It didn't look good that she was flanked by leaders of the opposition parties at the press conference. She had always insisted that Bersih 2.0 was apolitical. She did, however, explain that she marched with the opposition instead of 'alone' for security reasons.
Proof that tear gas was fired into the hospital compound, despite the IGP's denial. (Malaysiakini)
The IGP said the police succeeded in dispersing the demonstrators who numbered only a mere "5000 to 6000", and not 100,000 as claimed by the organizers. He denied the police fired tear gas into the compound of Tung Shin hospital, despite photos that show otherwise.

Outside KLCC yesterday afternoon.
Getting ready for the protestors.
Shoppers 'locked' inside Suria KLCC. This was to prevent protestors from seeking refuge in the mall.
The scene outside Pavilion at 5pm. People resumed their shopping as if the protests never happened.

Over at Lot 10 junction, traffic was slowly getting back to normal. No signs of damage to property anywhere.
And I say again, all the show of force from the police, FRU, General Operations Force, and Light Strike Force was totally unnecessary as the protestors were unarmed. Shopowners, paying heed to the government's repeated warnings of chaos and destruction resulting from the rallies, closed their shops. Massive traffic congestion outside the city centre was caused by police road blocks and road diversion. People movement was restricted as buses couldn't enter the city, and several stations along the Ampang and Kelana Jaya lines were closed. We can point the finger directly at the government for causing all this inconvenience and loss of earnings for the rakyat.

Bersih supporters shaking hands after the rally in Jalan Ampang. No hard feelings?
Those who were arrested were questioned and then released - after a buffet meal courtesy of the police at Pulapol. Faces have been blotted out. (Photo: PDRM)
If only the government had given Bersih  what it had asked for in the first place, or to gather in Merdeka Stadium from 2-4pm, there would have been no arrests, and no need for tear gas or water cannons. It would have been a peaceful walk enroute to the istana or stadium, with the police lining the route on both sides to provide security and safety.  It's possible to hold peaceful protests in the streets. But, of course, the government has so little faith in the people, and so much fear of losing power that they would rather 'play safe' and bring out all they have in their arsenal to counter any threat, real or perceived, to protect their status quo.

At the start of the walk to the stadium - peaceful until confronted by riot police backed by water cannons. Shops could have remained open. The huge crowds would have generated business for stalls selling food and drinks, and for buses, trains and taxis. (Photo: Malaysiakini)

1 comment:

Starmandala said...

Is it true, the rakyat have declared BN an illegal regime? Anyone wearing the dacing symbol will be ridiculed.