Me and my sons-in-law (photo taken in 1999)
Here are my 10 tips on how to get along with your daughter-in-law. If you need more tips from the experts, check out "The Mother-in-Law's Manual" by Susan Abel Lieberman, Ph. D.
3. Stay out of any argument between your son and your DIL.
4. Treat all your children (that includes DIL) and grandchildren equally.
5. Respect the rules set by your DIL e.g. no junk food or expensive toys for the grandchildren.
6. Show sincere appreciation when your DIL does something for you.
7. Keep any criticisms of your DIL to yourself.
8. Make an effort to bond with your DIL e.g. go shopping together or cook a family meal together.
9. Lend a helping hand and a sympathetic ear whenever your DIL needs it.
10. Look upon your DIL as a valued member of the family rather than a rival competing for your son's affection.